Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Shoes (scarpe)

So, it's just over 15 weeks until we leave for Italy. Have you thought about your shoes? During our trip we'll be doing a good bit of walking, and while they may be fashionable, I would not recommend that you wear anything like this:
OUCH!
Of course you could wear them to dinner, but do you really want to take up that space in your luggage?


Here's the (minor, very minor) dilemma: Italians- men and women - tend to dress very well,

and we American tourists... well, don't:
White Sneakers= American tourist

Oh, excuse me, I got off track there.

SHOES.

Look, no one's ever accused me of being a fashion goddess. But I do know that if my feet hurt, I'm miserable. So, I've already started trying out good and faithful walking shoes, to see which one(s) will make the trip, and keep me a happy pilgrim. And oh, the considerations.... which will give good support, but not be too heavy, too clunky, or just too hard to get on and off in airport security?

{Since we're going in November, I'm not that concerned about having sandals... it'll probably be about 70 degrees during the day.... no need for extra ventilation! But I do want shoes that'll do well if we run into rain showers/puddles.}

So, I know our trip seems like a long way off, but let me encourage you to give a little thought to your footwear. Walk around for a mile or more (or wear the candidates all day on an active day) to be sure they feel good and are in good shape and don't tire you out (I had an old pair nearly disintegrate on the streets of Chicago once. But I digress.). And if you decide you need/want to buy a new pair, now is the time to break them in (don't let Day 2 of the Pilgrimage be your first time walking in them, or I predict Day 3 will find you grumpy.) (And if white sneakers fulfill all your criteria for good footwear, so be it! Just don't be surprised if they hand you the tourist menu when you stop for lunch! Seriously: well-fitting shoes trump 'fashion' on any day that involves lots of steps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment